Friday, February 5, 2010

One stupid move after another

Sometimes, we really are our own worst enemy. I took an overnight biz trip to Phoenix last week, and my stomach started feeling weird by mid-afternoon. I picked at a small salad for dinner, watched some TV, started shivering and went to bed. When it was pretty clear I was going to throw up, I got up, went into the bathroom, and, bam, passed out cold. I woke up in a puddle of blood, and THEN threw up.

A smart girl would have called 911. Or at least called her husband. Not me. I did think about calling 911, but I decided there was no way I could get to my cell phone WAY across the big room - and even if I could, there was no way I could then get back to the door, which I had bolted, to let in the paramedics. So, bleeding, hurting and with a potential head injury, what did I do? Crawled to bed with a pile of towels to sop up the blood coming from my mouth, ear, nose and a huge gash on my chin, and WENT TO SLEEP. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I bled the night away, then got up, took a shower and decided it really was time to get some help. Did I go to the closest emergency room? Of course not. I wasn't sure what my insurance would cover and I didn't want to be stuck in Phoenix for another night away from Tom and Quinn, so I DROVE TWO HOURS home and called my regular doctor - who saw me and sent me straight to the emergency room. Again, stupid, stupid, stupid.

The diagnosis? I fractured my jaw in one place and broke it badly in another - and the bone from that break ruptured my ear canal. Got a CT scan and stitches in my chin, followed up by surgery yesterday to reset my jaw. Thankfully, I'm only wired shut at night, as the doc wants me moving my jaw during the day in hopes of working the jaw joint back into place.

Of course, this happened during Tom's busiest work week of the year. So my sainted mother - God, how I love that woman! - has come over every day, all day, to help. Tom was out of town the day of the surgery, so she came over and stayed. Her job was to play with and care for Quinn and my job was to rest - and avoid doing anything else stupid!

I seriously could not have made it through this week without her. Thank you, Mom!!!! I love you!


The Drinkwaters said...

Ouch! Hope you heal quickly!

Sara W. said...

Oh my Lord Jill!!! That sounds painful, scary, and well...just plain awful. A broken jaw?? Ouch!! A ruptured ear canal...painful!! You must have taken a doosy of a fall :-(

What a wonderful mother you have!

Hope you are feeling better...or at least resting and taking it somewhat easy.

Jesse, James and Lindsey's mom said...

I am so glad you are ok! Take it easy!!!!!

zazzlefour said...

You mean Superwoman did not try to just reset your jaw yourself? Ha! Terribly sorry to hear this news, and praying for a quick and full recovery. You are blessed to have a special Mama to help you through your worst nightmare EVER! Glad you are o.k. --Brenda

China Dreams said...

Ohmigosh, Jill! Who would take care of Tom and Quinn if you had not woken up in the morning? Don't mean to scare you, but do take care of yourself-you're too important not to!