Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Some like it hot

Ever since Quinn started eating solids I've been worried about him not getting enough fluids. If I give him water in a bottle he takes a sip and gets VERY offended that it's not the good stuff and pushes - or throws - it aside.

Today, though, making tea for my mom and I, I remembered the day in Beijing when Tom and I asked for some water while we were having pastries at a fancy bakery, and we were served cups of hot water. We were told the Chinese believe that people, and especially children, cannot digest anything cold. Therefore everything, especially in winter, is served hot. I poured some hot water in his bottle and - hallelujah! - gulp, gulp, gulp. He drank the bottle dry (it was only about half full) and then drank about half of a second bottle.

Breakthrough!

No comments: