I am completely loving reading your comments - thanks to you all!
Some comments and answers:
- Melanie, Quinn's bracial plexus injury will definitely require substantial therapy but is far less severe that we had been led to believe. He cannot push himself up from a nap yet, which is obviously because he won't use that arm. But when he's on his tummy he pushes himself up with that injured right arm just fine. He prefers to turn his hand over and push up with the back of his hand, but when I turn his hand over for him he pushes up properly without difficulty or pain. His shoulder and elbow move normally with manipulation, but he prefers not to use them if he can get away with it. Handing him stuff from the right - a tip from a physical therapist friend - is already helping.
- Sarah, I love the name Quinn too, obviously! We were stumped about what to name our boy because we had been collecting girl names for two years. Then I saw a TV reporter with that name and it just clicked. Perfect! Also, thanks for the photo posting tip - I tried it with the last post, and it was much easier than what I was doing before.
- Lavonne, the emperor continues to speak. The orphanage workers made it clear that he only sleeps in a quiet, dark room. It wasn't until today that I wondered, what quiet, dark room is there in an orphanage??? He must have been snoozing in someone's office or something!
- Kathy, yes, we're in Beijing, and loving it. We like big cities, so we're having a great time exploring the place and taking in the crowds. Our guide took us to a super-crowded Super Wal-Mart today and even though we're Target people we had a lot of fun navigating that aisles. Got some super-cute traditional Chinese outfits, two pairs of squeaky shoes and a bunch of baby gear for about $75. Gotta love that!
- Heidi, you're a genius. The stacking cups were the cheapest thing we brought for Quinn, and they're BY FAR the biggest hit. (Second most popular is the fabric tag that I forgot to cut off a book.) For proof, check out the photos with the next post.
- Shannon, I'd love to connect. I don't know anyone in Tucson with a baby from China - just older kids. My e-mail address is email@example.com. But I'm not checking e-mails there until the end of November!